10 Surprising Facts About Steve Jobs:
Steve Jobs will long be remembered for his technological innovations that changed millions of lives. But here are some little-known facts about Apple’s former CEO.
1. He tried LSD: He reportedly said it was “One of the two or three most important things I have done in my life.”
2. He dated Joan Baez: Jobs dated the folk singer when he was in his 20′s.
3. He was a vegetarian: PETA praised Jobs for his vegetarianism and his support of animals.
4. He saved Pixar: Jobs purchased the company from George Lucas’ Lucas Film for $5 M in 1986. The first film produced by Pixar under Jobs was the critically acclaimed “Toy Story.”
5. He was Disney’s largest shareholder: He became Disney’s largest shareholder when the company bought Pixar in 2006.
6. He was offered an internship with Hewlett-Packard … in eighth grade: As an eighth-grader, he called William Hewlett, co-founder of Hewlett-Packard, to inquire about a part missing from a frequency counter he was assembling, the New York Times reports. Hewlett reportedly spoke to Jobs for 20 minutes, then offered him a bag of parts and a summer internship.
7. He and Steve Wozniak originally sold “blue boxes”: The duo reportedly built so-called “blue boxes” that could trick phones into allowing users to make free calls to anywhere in the world. They reportedly raised a total of $6,000.
8. He was homeless: “I didn’t have a dorm room,” he said in a commencement address given at Stanford in 2005, “so I slept on the floor in friends’ rooms, I returned Coke bottles for the 5-cent deposits to buy food with, and I would walk the seven miles across town every Sunday night to get one good meal a week at the Hare Krishna temple.”
9. He patented the glass staircase in the Apple Store: He is listed among the group of inventors for 317 Apple patents.
10. He drove without a license plate for years: Jobs drove his 2007 Mercedes-Benz SL55 for years with no official license plate, just a bar code, according to USA Today.